martes, 6 de febrero de 2018


CAN

The three main uses of Can are: 1) ability 2) possibility and 3) permission. However there are some other used of Canas we will see below.

1. To express ability

Can means to be (physically) able to do something OR to know how to do something.

  • Birds can fly.
  • Elephants can't fly.
  • can speak two languages.

2. To express a possibility (in general)

This refers to a theoretical possibility.
Note: we don't use can to talk about future possibilities. For this you would use may or might.

  • It can get cold there at night so take a jacket.
  • I know you can win the competition.
  • Well, I think your car can be repaired, but it's not going to be cheap.

3. To offer to do something for others

Can is used when you offer to help someone or to do something for them.

  • You don't need to walk home. I can take you there if you like.
  • Can I carry your bags for you?

4. To ask for or give permission / To request something

Can is used to ask for / request permission or to give permission.
Note: Can't is used to refuse permission.

  • You can use my umbrella, I don't need it right now.
  • Can I sit in that chair please?
  • Mary, you can play outside if you like.
  • Can I ask you a question?
  • You can't go to the park. It will still be wet from the rain last night.
  • We can't leave the room until the assignment is completed.

5. Can't: Something that is forbidden or not allowed

  • We cannot park the car next to this fire hydrant.
  • You can drive as fast as you want on the German motorways.
  • You can't smoke in the restaurant.
  • You cannot drive a car without a license.

6. Can't: when you are sure that something isn't true or something is surprising

  • It can't be dark outside! It's only 4.30pm!
  • They can't have landed on the moon, I'm sure it's a hoax.

For more examples, including how to make questions, see our grammar notes about Can - Cannot. You might also want to see our Can - Can't - Cannot Game

COULD

Could is similar to Can and often replaces Can in the past tense (though not always)

1. To express ability in the past

  • could ride a horse when I was younger but now I can't.
  • She could juggle eight balls when she was only 10 years old.
  • He could read when he was three years old.

2. Polite word used to ask for permission or to request something (in the present)

  • Could I please use your bathroom?
  • Could we move on to the next topic now please?
  • Could you pass me the salt please?
  • I'm busy right now. Could you call back later?

3. General permission in the past

  • In high school, we couldn't leave the classroom without a pass.
  • He couldn't go to the concert because his mother wouldn't let him.


Modal Verbs of Ability and Permission Exercise at Auto-English

Check through the different uses.

TYPE 
USE
MODAL VERBS
EXAMPLE
1
expressing ability
CAN  
María can drive.
2
asking for permission
MAY, CAN, COULD
Could I borrow your pen?
3
giving permission
MAY, CAN
You can use my phone.
4
refusing permission, prohibition
CAN'T, MAY NOT
You may not talk in the exam
5
requests
CAN, COULD
Can you pass me the salt?

Look at the following phrases and write in which type you think it is. Then use one of the modal verbs in brackets to fill the gaps.

TYPE
1
 _______
You (may/could)________________ leave now if you wish.
2
_______
(Could/May)________________ you open the window a bit, please?
3
_______
(May/Can)________________ you play the piano?
4
_______
Listen, please. You (may not/could not)________________  speak during this exam.
5
_______
You (can't/might not)________________ smoke on the bus.
6
_______
(Can't/May)________________  I make a call on your mobile?
7
_______
Do you know if Mark (can/may)________________ sing?
8
_______
(Can't/May)________________ I sit here, please?
9
_______
Caroline, your friends (can/could)________________ stay the night if they want to. They're perfectly welcome.
10
_______
I'm sorry but you (can't/may)________________ use the computer until after I've finished.
11
_______
(May/Could)________________ you lend me 40 Euros til Monday?
12
_______
Listen, please. Students (may/could)________________ study in the library from five to nine in the evening.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario